Friday, March 5, 2010

Canadians vs. Americans

This is an argument I’ve subjected myself to more often than I would have liked to. I lived in both countries for equal amounts of time (10 years each), but call America my home. This has been a point of downright hateful behavior from many Canadians (which, ironically, is part of the reason I prefer America).

My least favorite brands are Pepsi and Mac. Why? Because of the advertising tactics they use. Rather than getting their consumers to focus solely on their benefits, they add in their greatest (and frankly more successful competitor) simply to put them down. This is the opposite of the type of strategy that would gain my loyalty. I find it quite pathetic.

Canadians take a stance which is nearly identical. They, it seems, have a chip on their shoulder. They are not proud to BE Canadian, but are proud NOT to be American. Americans, on the other hand, have a great sense of pride just being from their country. That’s my idea of patriotism. Canadians, on the other hand, will bring themselves up by putting America down.

The amount of times I’ve heard “I effin hate Americans” is appalling. That is blatant racism. I have heard so much slander and so much negativity towards Americans from Canadians who know nothing better. I have lived in both countries. You may say “American’s are racist”, but frankly, I’ve received far more racism from Canadians for both being South Asian and for being American. You may say “American’s are rude/unkind/etc.”, but during the many many difficult times in my family’s life while living in America, we had a ton of support from beautiful friends and acquaintances helping us along the way… meanwhile, in Canada, when my mom faced a moment of difficulty, her good Canadian friend said she is “no longer able to be a part of [my mom’s] life, as she did not want to deal with extra burdens”. “American’s are ignorant”?? Frankly, I’ve heard far more ignorant things coming out of the mouths of Canadians when talking about Americans than I have ever heard an American say.

Again, this is simply my observation. I am married to a Canadian, and he is not at all like this… so I, of all people, realize I am generalizing. Please take no offense, this is just how I feel about the whole situation.

I will talk more about this… particularly my thoughts on “melting pot” vs. “mixed bag” perspectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment