Sunday, February 21, 2010

Religion

I am a very proud atheist. Truly, it was never something I needed to think about. The man in the sky thing just never sat well with me after the age in which is was obvious Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy were myths. In my head, it is no different.

I have no doubt that Jesus Christ, the Prophet Mohammed, Buddha, etc. etc. etc. did exist. I am sure they were spiritual men who once lived on this earth. And were very good at giving people hope, faith, something to believe in. And thus people looked up to them. And so is the onset of religion.

My entire family are skeptics. This is not to say they don't perform religious activities (Hindu by birth) and do the 'proper' things at the specific times of year. But yet, they question lots of beliefs. Still celebrate other holidays. Eat meat. Drink. etc. etc. And then there's members, such as my maternal grandfather and my mother's brother who are not Hindu or Atheist. Rather they have converted to Scientology. They are both highly revered in their respective professions, both in the medical field. But they read a bit on L. Rob Hubbard, and believed. I've also read the books. To be honest, he's easier to swallow than some of the religious things I've heard. Oh, and did I mention, my grandmother (also a doctor) wrote and published a book DISPROVING the existance of God. It was very convincing I tell you. Once it's published in English, I will post a link here.

Don't get me wrong, I am not talking ignorantly. I was in a heavily Republican, heavily Christian school for 7 years. Seven years. This experience alone taught me the dark side of religion. The guilt, the fear. The fear, my god the fear. Why, why why choose to be a part of something that makes you live in fear.

This is something my husband and I have spoken extensively about. M grew up in a very very conservative and religious family. But the religion was very fear driven. He admits it himself. Religion is obviously a big topic for a husband and wife, especially when it comes to children. I have absolutely no problem with my children learning religion, as long as it's fact based, and aspects of guilt and fear are not brought into it. My husband learned religion based on fear. This lead to many insecurities and sometimes irrational fears in his childhood and teens, and even some still carrying over to today. He has loudly expressed he does not want his children to deal with this stress. Which are my thoughts exactly. He has agreed that us, and only us, will talk with our children about religion. About all religions. At Christmas time, they will learn the significance of Christmas, before that of Hanukah. Ash Wednesday and Passover will be explained, as well as Diwali and Holi. But that is it, explained. The children will be left to make their own decision on religion, and we will support them either way. We will ensure they are well educated on different ways of life (including not adopting any religion) and will be there for them through whichever walk they choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment