Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Racism

Racism has always been a big topic for me. It was something I was faced with for a very long time. Although I was born in my country of origin, I never lived there. I have always been an "outsider" in my country of residency.

I faced it a lot. I have never truly felt like I fit in. In Western countries, I have and will always be a visible minority. Being called a Paki or terrorist with a number of unflattering adjectives attached to it is not fun. Not at all. And it isn't nice. At the same time, even with my own 'kind' I am outcasted. I have been called 'white-washed'... once, at the age of 12, I was asked "why do you sound so white... look in the mirror- you're not white". What do I say to that? Why do I sound the way I do? I don't know...

The nice thing about being in Panama is that I am no longer a visible minority. Many don't seem to understand the relief I have with this. No I didn't neccesarily walk in places in Canada/ US and have everyone turn around a stare... but sometime it was painfully obvious that I was the different one. Here in Panama I may not know the culture or the language, but on the surface, I look like I belong. It's an amazing feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment