Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Depression

After some heart to heart discussions (over multiple drinks) with a good friend, she confessed to me that she has been on anti-depressants. Here, they are available without a prescription. I've always dabbled with the thought of approaching a doctor for some 'chemical' help with some of my emotions, but never seriously. Knowing someone up close and personal, who has confessed and raved about it has made this thoughts more concrete.

I looked into some information about them. This led me to a series of questionnaires. Apparently, I am clinically depressed. The problem I had with these tests is that, as far as I've gathered in my world view, I think 80% of people would be classified as clinically depressed. I mean... do you ever feel sad or irritable? lost interest in any activities you once enjoyed? feeling of guilt (this may be the fault of my family's tactic of using guilt trips for EVERYTHING)?... do you experience indecisiveness? I mean... if this isn't normal, then yes, there is certainly something wrong with me, and there has been for many many years. But somehow I feel these are normal feelings.

That being said, I know I have (and likely still do) suffered with depression, but haven't sought the proper help. I did see a therapist for a bit. But, never have I ever gone as far as medication.

I was telling another friend of mine in an email about a post secret I saw a few weeks ago. I've searched the web, and regret not saving it-- but I can't find it anywhere. The jist of it was a 30 year old who started taking anti-depressants... and her only regret was not starting earlier. It struck a chord with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment