Friday, December 5, 2008

Perfect Life

Everday after montessori, my mom would pick me up and stop by the gas station on the way home, where the nice old lady always had home made brownies for me. Even the fits I used to throw every morning, knowing I wouldn't see my mom all day, weren't all that bad... I enjoyed myself for the most part at the montessori, except when it came to naptime.

It's funny. Today I can sleep anywhere, a plane, the floor, sitting upright... I close my eyes, and I'm asleep. Nothing comes between that. But back then, I just had a problem with naptime. I never fell asleep... ever. I still remember, laying there on the little cots, just watching everyone as they were fast asleep. I never got how they just zonked out like that. God knows what I did, thouht about... what do 4 year olds think about? What could possibly be keeping me up? Nonetheless, I used to watch the second hand crawl on the clock, waiting for naptime to be over.

I had a friend... Kaley, I believe her name was... she lived across the street from me. She had two big sisters, in their teens I believe, who used to watch me from time to time. I remember we used to slide down there stairs in sleeping bags. I think about it now and feel pain, but it never hurt... I have no clue how that has any logic to it, but I truly can't remember it hurting, we had so much fun doing it. Kaley got in trouble a lot, so often times she was in her room, while I was outside with her sisters. It never occured to me why she was in trouble so much... I never got confined to my room, but then again I never really did anytime worthy of such a punishment. I didn't know the meaning of disobediance at that point.

Kaley had massive cathedral ceilings in her living room. Every Christmas, her family would buy a huge Christmas tree. I still remember, the star had to be placed on the top, by literally going upstairs. It beat our regular sized tree any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment