Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Accountability

I've always been some who positive reinforcement works great, and negative reinforcement will funnel me into a neverending hole. Sounds drastics but it's true. Minor, fictional example-- if someone says "Niki's a b*tch", I will probably go out of my way to be exactly that to that individual, because if they already think so poorly of me what do I care to change that perception. On the other hand if someone thinks I can succeed even if I don't think I can, I will go out of my way to try my hardest because I don't want to disapoint the person. Classic example in the life of Niki: In my junior year of high school, I was taking an academic math course. Now our school split courses into 3 levels, lowest to highest being applied, academic, and advanced. After my first test in the academic class, which I achieved something around the low 90s on, my teacher approached me and asked why I am taking the academic course. I said, I don't think I'd be able to do very well in it. She responded that she thinks I'd be able to far surpass most of the kids in it.I received a 98% in her class, and the next year I switched to advanced math courses, and eventually got into university for Honors Mathematics. I just couldn't let her already high perception drop.

One of our guests is a major marathon runner. Does it often, and travels countries to participate. The second day he was here, he was talking about his trainings and what he does, and I offhand said "Wow, that's awesome... I could never do it". He looked at me and said "yes you could. I guarantee it. and you'd love it." Interestingly enough this guy is a teacher... hmm. Anyways, once he planted that seed I spent the last week thinking about it. Keep in mind, I get winded after running a few minutes.

So off I went google searching on how to train my body. Most of the marathon sites said before you start training for an actual half/full marathon you need to be able to run comfortably for 30 minutes. So I have yet to get to that level. I then found a site which outlines how to get up to that 30 minutes. I have decided to follow it religiously.

Now M thinks the first couples week are ridiculous, and I considered skipping ahead. But I ultimately opted against it. I want to start from the beginning and do this the long way. No skipping corners. My running days initially will be TWT, and once I hit 4 days, will probably add in a weekend day. I started today.

Readers (all one? of you), are my accountability. Knowing that someone is going to be watching me succeed (or possibly fail) will push me to ensure I do it. Right now my goal and what I would be ecstatic about is being able to run for 30 minutes straight. My ultimate goal is to achieve runners high.

Here goes nothing...

1 comment:

  1. Ok this has to be the weirdest coincidence in the history of this friendship, because I started running myself about 2 weeks ago. My goal is to run 3 miles/5K in 30 mins continuously. And I didn't believe it either, but it does get easier and you feel invincible when you are able to run for extended periods (even if it's just mins in the beginning :)). I am following the program on http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

    Keep me posted ok. We can be each others cheerleaders :).

    ReplyDelete