Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Ex-pat Parties

On Saturday, M, myself, and our guests (who are now 3, one guy arrived Saturday) headed out to our real estate agent's engagement pool party/ bbq type of deal. It was quite an interesting experience.

We headed in around 8 PM (which is already very dark here in Panama, where the sun sets at 6:30). There are groups of people everywhere, kind of mingling around and doing their thing. Our agent is engaged to a Panamanian girl, so there was a mix of Americans and Panamanians alike. What was intrigueing was the fact that the American native English speakers cliqued together, as did the Panamanian native Spanish speakers. This was odd, as the majority of people were fully bilingual. I guess speaking to those who speak your native language is a breath of fresh air for the brain (or something).

The group was a interesting bunch. There were your ex-pats, like our agent, who lived in Panama because they love the country, love the life, and just enjoy the culture. Lives quite humbly and mingles with everyone. Then there are those ex-pats who are there totally exploiting the benefits the country gives foreigners. Living lavishing lifestyles, not interacting with local people whatsoever, and just doing their thing to push them selves ahead. I don't know which is better in the end, but I definitely think the former is more respectable.

Granted, we did buy a car which would be way above our status level in Canada, and why? Because we could afford it here. But at the same time, we shop at the area which is normally just for locals, we are meeting people from all over, not sticking to the ex-pat community.

It's an interesting concept, being an ex-pat, and people tend to define themselves differently because of it. I think I want to still live like it's my country, even though we can afford to be extravagent in some areas, I don't think we'll exploit that at every given opportunity.

I am totally babbling... it was a weird experience and it's hard to put into words. I'll stop while I stil somewhat have some dignity.

No comments:

Post a Comment