Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cheapness?

It's, once again, been a while since I've posted. I actually think I've graduated from having to say that at the beginning of each post, to it just being assumed.

In September, M and I met a couple who moved here from the UK. Seemed quite nice, though different from us, but nonetheless we planned a Diwali dinner at Beirut (see below post re: "secret menu"). We actually did not end up ordering from the Indian menu, although there was one, a very pricey one, but from the actual menu. For the record, in my opinion, Habibi's on Calle Uraguay is MUCH better, and though I've heard disputes, the price is around the same in both areas. Nonetheless, I digress. Anyways, so the end of the night, we get a bill. Again, it was a pricey meal, and since they typically don't serve alcohal their wine selection was few and far between, all priced high. Just as a ways of a disclaimer, a normal, decent meal in Panama shouldn't run over $20- MAX $30 a head, in my opinion, including the bottle or 2 of wine. Nonetheless, the point of this story is not the actual bill, but the events that followed.

So we receive the bill, tip was not included at this restaurant, and the bill came out to $116. So M and I are pulling out $75, thinking $75 each should be sufficient, with tip etc... the other couple pulls out $60, and announces "$60 each, which is $120 and that covers the tip". WHAT?!?! Anyways, M took their cash and put the remainder on the credit card, and we covered the sufficient tip. Should we have said something? We didn't. We also have not seen them since that night. It totally did not sit well with me. I've always been a heavy tipper, but even so I don't scoff if someone gives 10%, as that is the normal here. But $4 dollars on a $116 bill? Are you kidding me? I know at this point we aren't in the position to pick and choose friends, considering we have just a handful... but I'd rather have that handful then have friends like that.

Am I over-reacting?

Rant Over.

No comments:

Post a Comment